Ten Important Lessons I’ve Learned About Shellfish Allergies

This month I had two cross-contamination reactions to shellfish. They really scared me. They really opened my eyes.

I suffered a minor reaction to shellfish when I was 28 after dining on shrimp scampi in Santa Barbara. While walking back to my hotel room I felt tingly and itchy all over. I felt strange and dizzy and panicky. Something was not right. A coworker told me that it may be a food allergy reaction, and gave me some over the counter allergy medication. I never took that first reaction seriously, and I never followed up with a doctor. I just went on with my life.

That was a horrible mistake, one that almost cost me my life. That is a mistake that too many people are making. Too many people don’t take food allergy reactions earnestly, or think they will never happen again.

Later that year, while eating shrimp scampi once again, I went into anaphylactic shock and almost died. It happened very quickly, and thankfully a hospital was nearby. The staff there saved my life. I was so surprised by what happened because I had eaten shellfish my whole life, and I didn’t take into consideration my first minor reaction.

Since then I have carried my Epipens, but didn’t do more until my young son was diagnosed with food allergies. I realized that I had not been proactive enough in regard to my own food allergies, so I was more careful for awhile. But then I wasn’t. Life, illness and constantly worrying about my son got in the way.

I put all my time and energy into keeping my son safe, but I was not putting any energy into keeping myself safe. I have not done any new research, and I often forgot to tell food establishments about my allergy.

I thought just avoiding seafood restaurants was enough.

I was wrong.

One of my cross-contamination reactions happened while eating food from a local supermarket here in Virginia. The other happened while eating a Subway sandwich at Hershey Park in PA. My whole mouth tingled and burned, and the roof of my mouth swelled up. I felt weird and lethargic. I hadn’t had that feeling in over 20 years. The feeling of fear/panic/dread that I may be going into anaphylactic shock.

The feeling I will never forget.

The feeling that I never want to have again.

I clutched my Epipens both times and had my family with me. My husband watched me closely and was ready to call 911 if necessary. I was ok, but I learned some valuable lessons/tips that I want to share.

  1. Learn what foods are considered shellfish. I was completely shocked recently to learn that calamari (which is often fried in the same oil as french fries, mozzarella sticks, etc) is in the shellfish category. Some other kinds of shellfish are – prawns, crayfish (crawfish,) crabs, lobster, shrimp, oysters, scallops, clams, mussels, octopus, sea urchin, escargot (snails,) cockles, abalone, conch, periwinkles, whelk.
  2. According to FARE – “Approximately 60 percent of people with shellfish allergy experienced their first allergic reaction as adults.” This happened to me after eating shellfish for over 20 years. Please be careful because it can happen to you too.
  3. ALWAYS tell your servers that you have a shellfish allergy whether you are at a restaurant or sandwich shop. Make sure that they let the chef know and that they can safely accommodate you. Ask them if their establishments share fryers/grills with seafood.
  4. I also tell anyone who comes into contact with me that I have a shellfish allergy such as dentists, doctors, hairdressers, xray technicians, etc. You never know what ingredients are in products used to treat you.
  5. Avoid seafood restaurants, or maybe even most Asian or Thai ones. Their menus are full of shellfish or shellfish ingredients/spices/extracts/broths. I had a scare last year when I was given shrimp spring rolls instead of vegetarian ones. I ate one and had to stick my finger down my throat to vomit it out. This is not a good way to prevent anaphylaxis because it was ingested, but I did it anyway just in case it would help. I was okay, but have not eaten at an Asian restaurant since. Call or visit all restaurants to determine if they are food allergy friendly before dining at one.
  6. Avoid clambakes, oyster festivals, or any celebrations with seafood everywhere if you can. Just being around these events can produce reactions. Don’t handle/touch any shellfish.
  7. Avoid cooking areas where seafood is being prepared. According to FARE the proteins in the shellfish can become airborne. That is why it is best to avoid these areas since these proteins can produce a reaction in some.
  8. Read the whole menu at places, and be aware of any additions, such as the new seafood sensation sandwich at Subway. I had no idea that there was shellfish at Subway, and it was the source of one of the cross-contamination reactions I mentioned earlier.
  9. Read the labels/ingredients to anything you will consume every single time. Things/recipes/factories often change. While I was at my doctor’s office she offered me a vitamin supplement that had a shellfish warning on the bottom, as does many vitamins/supplements. I also avoid anything with Omega 3 Fatty Acids such as pre-natal pills with them. They made my heart skip beats and made me feel bad so I switched to a different kind, this is my own personal experience though, check with your doctor. My local grocery store chain has a shellfish warning on their fried chicken, and I had a reaction to some cut vegetables. I no longer buy anything they repackage/prepare in their store. There is too much risk for cross-contamination as they share equipment.
  10. BRING YOUR EPIPENS/AUTOINJECTORS WHEREVER YOU GO!! Whether you are on land, sea or in the air bring them! Keep them at room temperature always, and protect them in cases/insulated bags/waterproof pouches. You never know when you may need them, and they may just save your life some day.

Please check with your doctor or allergist for any medical advice. Get tested, do research and be prepared. There are more things containing shellfish or cross-contaminated with shellfish than you may realize. It is for that reason that I have also chosen to avoid all kinds of fish.

We are just like little fish swimming in a great big sea of food allergens.

Tread carefully, but don’t be afraid to live your life.

Kathy ❤

Nuts About My Son

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s